Westport is currently seeking nominations for the 2013 WeGreen Westport Awards.
“Great things have happened in Westport over the past year to better our community,” said Green Task Force Chairman David Mann.
Each year, the WeGreen Westport Awards
program recognizes contributions Westporters --individuals, businesses and
non-profits -- whose efforts demonstrate a commitment to protecting and
improving the environment in a way that have a long-term positive effect on the
sustainability of Westport, Mann said.
Nominations from the public will be accepted through Nov. 15. Nomination forms can be downloaded from the photo box above or picked up at the Selectman’s Office, 110 Myrtle Ave., Westport.
Completed forms should be submitted online and emailed to email@example.com or mailed to David Mann, Chair, Westport Green Task Force c/o Town of Westport, 110 Myrtle Ave., Westport, CT 06880.
According to Mann, past award recipients have included individuals, business and grass roots community organizations, among them:
- John Horkel, for his 25 plus years of service as executive director of Westport's Earthplace, The Nature Discovery Center
- Pippa Bell Ader for her leadership of the Westport Home Energy Challenge which directly and indirectly resulted in the weatherization of 15 percent of homes in town
- Kevin Green, for his extraordinary green home renovation and environmental leadership
- The Westport Wash & Wax for its inspirational solar installation powering its business and its water conservation efforts
- Oscar’s Deli for its pioneering energy conservation efforts
- The founders of Green Village Initiative for inspiring grass roots environmental work