And several schools — including all public schools in Westport — have cancelled classes for today.
The advisory is for southern Connecticut and the Hudson Valley region where snow is expected to begin falling towards the end of the morning rush hour and continue into the afternoon, according to the weather service. Heavy bands of snow could reduce visibility to about a half-mile.
The snow is expected to taper off during the afternoon rush hour, according to the advisory.
Also, the weather service has issued a black ice advisory for Tuesday morning. The combination of abundant low level moisture and temperatures dropping below freezing across the region early this morning will result in the formation of black ice on untreated surfaces, creating hazardous conditions on bridges and overpasses.
Here is the forecast for the remainder of the week:
- Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 19. West wind 10 to 14 mph.
- Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. West wind 10 to 14 mph.
- Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 25. West wind 10 to 14 mph.
- Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.
- Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 31.