Kick off the weekend a day early in honor of St. Patrick, and follow it up with film events, fashion fundraising, "play" time and more...
Screening “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” and Star Appearance
- Where: Westport Library (McManus Room), 20 Jessup Road
- When: Friday and Saturday
- Why go: (Friday, 2-4 p.m.) Catch this film classic, in which “the eldest of seven brothers, goes to town to get a wife. He convinces Milly to marry him that same day. Only when they return to his backwoods home does she discover he has six brothers — all living in his cabin.” The 1954 movie features some of the most memorable dance numbers from the period, with choreography by Michael Kidd. (102 min.)
- Why go: (Saturday, 1 p.m.) As a fabulous follow-up to the screening, Jacques d’Amboise will appear at the library (off-screen). D’Amboise, “a classical ballet dancer, former principal with the New York City Ballet Saturday and choreographer,” will discuss his memoir, “I was a Dancer.” For more information click here or call 203-2910-4800.
- Price: Free
Playhouse Hosts “Community Day”
- Where: Westport Country Playhouse, 25 Powers Court
- When: Saturday, 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: Want to peek behind the curtains, and then some? At this second “Playhouse Community Day,” families can partake in special activities and visitors of all ages are invited to take a backstage tour, view displays and historic artifacts and learn about the upcoming season. Discounted ticket will be available on this day only. Complimentary snacks and beverages. For more information and a schedule click here
- Price: Admission is free; the public is welcome.
- Where:, 670 Post Rd E.
- When: Friday, 7-9 p.m.
- Why go: It’s the 14th annual event hosted by varsity cheerleaders! Proceeds will benefit Staples’ cheerleading program, the Gridiron concession stand project, PAL Cheerleading, and St. Vincent’s Cancer Center on behalf of Mitchells. For program details and view some of the auction items here.
- Price: $5/students and $15/adults. Tickets will be available at the door; for advance tickets email BeverleyStanley@optonline.net or call 203-557-3506.
IMAX: "Alaska: Spirit of the Wild" and "Whales"
- Where:The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk, 10 North Water St., Norwalk
- When: "Alaska" daily at 2 p.m. through April 7; "Whales" daily at 11 a.m., 1 and 3 p.m. through May 26.
- Why go: The viewing of wild places and wild faces doesn't get any better on film - or even in person, necessarily. "Alaska" won an Oscar for Best Short Subject Documentary in 1998. In "Whales" you'll see many of these wondrous marine mammals lifesize! Make it a double feature.
- Price: $9 for adults, $8 for seniors 65+ and $6.50 for children 2-12. Aquarium members receive $2 discounts. To include Aquarium admission with one of the films, tickets are $19.45 for adults, $17.95 for seniors and $14.45 for children. Tickets are available at www.MaritimeAquarium.org. For more information visit the site or call 203-852-0700.
Fairfield County Home and Better Living Show
- Where:Sono Field House, 365 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Dr., Norwalk
- When: Saturday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sunday, 11-5
- Why go: Regional companies will be exhibiting hundreds of products and services for all your home needs, including home building, remodeling, interior decorating, energy savings and landscaping industries. For details visit www.redstonepromotions.com, call 1-800-294-7469 or email email@example.com%20
- Price: $8/adults, children under 12 free.
- Where: , 125 East Ave., Norwalk
- When: Saturday, 6:30-10 p.m.
- Why go: Laugh it up for a good cause with hot New York City comics right here in town. The night of comedy features Lenny Marcus, Jon Fisch and Pete Correale to benefit Brien McMahon High School’s NJROTC.. The show begins at 8 p.m. and doors open for cocktails at 6:30.
- Price: $35. For tickets visit www.captainsofcomedy.com or call 203-852-9488, ext. 11428. Email any questions to mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Patrick’s Day Rocks
- Where: Black Bear SoNo, 80 Washington St., South Norwalk
- When: Thursday, St. Patty’s Day
- Why go: Groove to DJ Rob Newberry 3-8 p.m. and DJ Richie 8- 1 a.m. Step lively with Irish step dancers, bagpipers and the Jameson Girls, and toss in drink specials and giveaways.
- Price: $5 cover begins at 9, subject to change as the night goes on.
Become a blogger today!
Get started now