.

Fireplace Embers Cause Westport House Fire

A total of 24 Firefighters responded to a Washington Avenue structure fire at about 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

 

An alert neighbor on Evergreen Parkway reported visible flames on the roof of the Washington Avenue home, according to Westport Fire Department Assistant Chief William R. Dingee.

Firefighters could see flames coming from the roof of the two-story home when they arrived on scene Sunday morning, Dingee said.

“The occupants had safely exited the structure after being notified of the fire by a neighbor,” Dingee said in a news release. “They reported smelling smoke and checking the interior of the house, but smoke detectors did not activate as the fire and smoke was confined to the roof and unfinished attic areas of the home where there were no detectors."

Firefighters stretched a hose line up the interior stairs to the attic and quickly extinguished the fire, he said. Tarps were placed on items on the second floor to protect them from water runoff. Additional burning roof materials were removed to completely extinguish the fire, according to Dingee.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Interested in Westport's news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Westport Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The fire was investigated by the Westport Fire Marshal’s office. It was determined that the fire was caused by hot embers from the chimney landing on the wood roof shingles, Dingee said.

The majority of fire damage was to the roof shingles. Minor water and smoke damage occurred on the second floor, Dingee said. A total of 24 firefighters responded to the scene.

The last fire department unit cleared the scene at 11:15 a.m. Dingee said. Four engines, a Rescue vehicle, a shift commander's vehicle as well as a ladder truck from Wilton Fire Department were dispatched to the scene. An engine from the Fairfield Fire Department covered headquarters for any additional calls, he said.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »