Upon arrival light smoke could be seen coming from the rear of the building, but all occupants of the residence were out of the house, according to Assistant Chief Larry Conklin.
The fire was in a bathroom off of a first floor bedroom where renovations were being made. “The fire was quickly extinguished and smoke ejectors were used to clear smoke from the house,” Conklin said.
The Fire Marshal’s office was notified and responded to investigate the fire at 9 Broadview Road.
The fire department responded with one command car, one ladder truck and four engine companies. There were no injuries to civilians or Fire Fighters. The last fire department vehicle cleared the scene at about 8:30 p.m., according to Conklin.
Interested in Westport's news, events, community bulletins, blogs and businesses? Sign up for the free Westport Patch daily newsletter, "like" us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
The residence had operating smoke detectors monitored by an alarm company, which called in the initial problem to the fire department.
“This is a reminder to all home owners to have some type of operating smoke detectors in their residence,” Conklin said.